Clause 4.10 (2) (b) of the Retirement Villages Code requires that:

" the residence contract must clearly disclose the right of the resident to have a dispute dealt with—

(i)      within the retirement village, as provided for under clause 6.2 of this Code; and

(ii)    by referring any matter in dispute to the Commissioner [for Consumer Protection, a statutory officer within    the Department of Commerce] for investigation and attempted resolution;  and

(iii)     by requesting the Commissioner to refer any matter that remains unresolved to mediation, as provided for under clause 6.3 of this Code;  and

(iv)     in some cases, by making an application to the State Administrative Tribunal for a legally binding determination of any matter that remains unresolved."

These provisions exist to help residents resolve matters that are causing them on going concern.

If approaches to another resident or to the village manager have been unsuccessful, then the first step in the process outlined above should be used.  It requires a simple letter to be written (clearly identified a "Matter of Dispute"), following which the administering body must take action and convene a meeting to discuss the matter within 20 working days (four weeks).  Use of this process requires something to be done and it cannot be brushed off lightly.

WARVRA is concerned that many residents are reluctant to take any action to resolve matters of dispute.  Instead the matter is left to fester and become a continuing source of distress and, perhaps, anger.  You do not have to suffer, take action!

Here are some resources to help you work through the process of a Dispute or a Complaint:

If you need further help, contact us.

And do let us know what your experiences are with Disputes and Complaints so that we can all learn from each other!